Saturday, October 8, 2011

Quick how to for Flower Pillows.

Hello Blog world.. If you haven't jumped on the wagon of pillow flowers, here is your chance.. I did and love the ride!
So cute these are. And so super simple.

Simple?
The point of my projects.. SIMPLE!!
Awwww.. sigh.

I had some leftover fabric from a chair I redid.. You will see shortly... and picked up a remnant of fall orange material.. Love remnants!

Ill move on.. So I made my simple little pillow, stuffed it with filling from a down pillow that we got along with our couch.. Hate the pillows that match the couch. Ick.. So I used the stuffing.. I have 3 1/2 more pillows to make.. Floor pillows here I come... anyway..

Distractions..

So make the pillow. Cut your flower fabric into strips. Now I used a iron on patch from the craft store as my backing of the flower. It was sturdy enough to hold the flower, stitching, hot glue (yes.. Hot glue) and normal wear and tear of my 16 month old.





Cut the patch a little bigger than you want your flower.

Next sew your first strip to the patch. You can hot glue it too.. I had the machine out, so i might as well use it.

I randomly sewed into a make-shift circle, starting from the center working your way around in a larger circle. Leave room for another strip to go on top of the sewn piece. My main reason to sew the first strip on was so the patch had something other than glue to hold onto in case the glue couldn't hold its own.. lol
Finish the entire strip that way.
Yea. not so pretty now.. But be patient!

Heat that glue gun up while you move on to stitching a light and long stitch across the middle of another strip and then on the edge of another strip. Then scrunch them up to your liking.

Start gluing the strip that you sewed down the middle on the center. Gluing the areas where the stitching are.
Again.. you could just glue all of the fabric and scrunch it as you glue to be way easier.. I make things not so simple sometimes.. I just wanted this pillow to hold up longer than this fall season.

Finished?
Be sure the cover your stitches with fabric, move it around till you get it just right..
After the second strip was glued to the center

Does this make any sense..
Easier DONE than SAID!?!

Ok.. Time to move onto the outer strip. That's why you did the stitch on the outer edge to avoid noticing it once you have glued it down. Start from the outer edge of the flower and glue around being sure to add the scrunch or bunch as you like.
After the outer edge was glued

After that.. Done.. Almost..
Cut any excess patch from the back of the flower. And get that pillow and hot glue that pretty flower onto your pillow. In any location you like. I like off centered.. so thats where mine went!

Be sure to glue down any edges that seem to be easy to pull up..
And throw it in a chair, on the sofa or bed and you are done!

Simple. Hope its as simple for you!
Did I mention this cost less than $5??! Yep.. it did!! Less than $2 if you count that I had the pillow fabric already as a leftover!! Just saying..
Comment if you have any questions or if you liked the tutorial! Good Luck!

Psst... Side note.. Ready for a little reupholstering?? I am!! That chair is in desperate need of a face lift.. Keep checking back to see how that goes.. Eek!!

Linked to:
YATTM

No comments:

Post a Comment